Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Branching Out: Des Moines, Iowa

Looks like it's been a while since I've posted! I've gotten into the full swing of my sophomore year of college (I should say second year, because I'll be a junior by December!!) and between my full-load of credit hours, my extracurriculars, and my own crazy life, I just haven't been blogging too much!

However, this past Sunday was a really neat experience for me! First of all, it was a three-day weekend. Those are always fun!! More importantly, though, I was able to give a presentation at my dad's church in Des Moines, Iowa. The church there had supported me while I was on my trip, and I was really excited to be able to return to this small, loving family and share what God did in Russia!

First, as I was talking to a member's visiting parents, we were chatting about where they were from, where I went to school, what I was going into... Typical small talk with a college student! I was talking to the father, and he said that he and his wife sponsor an orphanage in Saint Petersburg! I got pretty excited and asked who they did that through, and he said Pastor Reehl! Oh man, I was excited! They were unable to stay for the presentation, but I was able to give them my contact information. Their church in Gretna, Nebraska is working on mission work out of their church, a new program. They said that Reehl has spoken, but they'd like me to come and speak some time! What an awesome outreach! After that, I gave my presentation to the Bible study group.

It was a difficult presentation, though not any different from my previous ones. As soon as I hit the spots where I talk about the special needs kids... I just lose it. I can't help it. That has become even more meaningful since my Special Education class this semester. I have yet to get through that section without choking up.

Afterwards, I learned that one of the parishioners had taken four years of Russian in high school. (I'm so jealous...) We talked to her a bit, and she said she'd love to go on the trip! I gave her Reehl's number, and she could potentially be going on this summer's trip!

The outreach that I was a part of this past Sunday blows me away. I was sharing with one of my friends, and she told me "Steph, God is using you in so many ways!"

She's right, but what a humbling comment! I have to go back to my favorite quote from Kisses from Katie: "I am blown away that my God, who could do this all by Himself, would choose to let me be a little part of it!" Every day, whether or not we realize it, we affect someone's life. Whether it's our roommate, our best friend, or a random stranger who we smile at as we walk by. We have the power to change someone's life, for better or for worse.

Keep in mind, God's using you, too. Every day, every moment, you are His child, a witness of Jesus' ultimate love and sacrifice. With that in mind, God bless you as you go out and spread his joy, love, and peace with those around you.

God bless you in all that you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment