Saturday, July 28, 2012

Thursday - Prom Dresses, Suit Coats, and Rain

Thursday at RFKC was our birthday party day, and this, by far is always my favorite day out of the entire week!! :)

We started off doing our normal, every day activities, and the kids who had been at camp before were trying so hard not to tell the new kids what was going to happen that night!

When the girls left to go swimming, the staff started to clear out our main building and we put up tables, hung dresses, set up nail and hair stations, and then waited for the princesses to arrive! (All while the boys got to practice their hand at BB guns!)

When the girls came in, and saw the prom dresses galore, saw us waiting for them at the hair and makeup stations, and saw the sparkling tiaras, their faces lit up with a surprise and joy that just never gets old for me. Before they could even begin to express all the excitement that they were holding, dresses started flying, hairspray started going, and their were smiles and "Ooos" and "Aaahs" all over the place. Music was playing in the background, glitter flew through the air, and the beautiful, shining daughters of God began to discover their true beauty.

This year, my sister and I donated old dresses to RFKC. Among them were our bridesmaid dresses from my dad's wedding, my two high school prom dresses, and a random dress that we had picked up at Good Will but only ever used for dress-ups.

As the girls started sorting through the dresses, one little girl named Edna seemed a bit at a loss for which dress to try on. I brought out my senior prom dress, and showed it to her, told her that it was mine, the one I had gotten prom queen in. Her face lit up, and she looked at me and said "Can I really wear it??" Oh, it broke my heart, but in a good way. I helped her lace it up, and for the next half hour, she was showing everyone her "prom queen dress". Now, how much better is that moment than that dress hanging in a closet for the next 30 years??

All but one dress was used by the girls, and they all looked absolutely stunning, in all the different dresses. I loved watching the more shy collection of girls begin to breakout and bloom under the praise of staff members and fellow princesses.

Once everyone had their hair done up, their nails painted, and their makeup on, we announced that the "carriage" (or haywagon,) would be coming around shortly, so naturally, we must practice our princess wave! My dear friend Camille, who has always been and always will be a princess at heart, demonstrated just exactly how a princess waves! (Elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist, touch the pearls, blow a kiss!) Our tiny little girls were waving and waving, with all the grace in the world. Camille ended her moment by reminding them that, even without the dresses and the hair, they're always princesses, because they're daughters of the King. I cried. :)

We took some pictures, and then we were helped onto our carriage! We waved at the trees and the cabins as we drove by them, and the girls got more and more antsy as we approached the waiting boys. (This was my favorite part!!) When the wagon came, all the boys, campers and staff, began to clap and cheer, and then, as the girls got off, they all bowed to us, and said "Good evening ladies!" and our 12 little princesses all practiced their curtsies as they went through the doors, where the full-time summer staff was dressed and cheering for the entering royalty.

At dinner, the girls were all so patient as they waited for their drinks and their meals. As we sat there, talking about all the perks of being princesses, one of the littler girls, Amelia, pointed out the window and said "God sent us a birthday present!!" Outside were the few precious drops of rain that our little kiddos had been praying for all week. The whole camp cheered, and the girls sitting at my table quickly bowed their heads and thanked God for the "best birthday present ever!" These little girls, who have been dressed in froof and sparkles and bright colors, the majority of whom know that we're about to go and open toys and other fine presents, are thanking God for the gift of rain drops. It really just was one of the moments that you never forget.

After dinner, the kids all performed in a talent show before they opened their gifts. Opening gifts is the best part of all, in my opinion. So many exclamations, so much thankfulness, and for the simplest things! One little girl received a pencil case, pens, and a notepad, and was so happy because "Now I can save my mom money when I go to school!" These simple things, that together, probably cost less than $5.

It's moments like that when I get snapped back into reality, and I have to remember that these kids are at camp for a reason. They aren't just "normal camp kids". They're kids who have dealt with a lifetime of worry and trouble in less than 12 years. And often times, the realization just hits me, when I look at these kids who I fall in love with, and wonder what they're going home to.

No comments:

Post a Comment